A biology course for the whole family
Join Science Mom and Math Dad for a self-paced biology class that explores heredity, genetics, and evolution!
Scroll down to watch the first five lessons and download the first 41 pages of notes.
We recommend watching the lesson with a printed copy of the notes. Encourage your student to use the polls or simply answer the questions out loud. Use the answer key to evaluate what they learned afterward, or, if they are a self-directed learner, they can use it themselves to double-check their learning.
Download the 41-page sample of notes
You can purchase this course along with our microbiology course for a discount.
- 1. What is a species?
- 2. Life finds a way.
- Species Quiz
- 3. Activity: Vegetative propagation of a potato
- 4. Mendel's Famous Experiment
- 5. Inheritance Explained
- Inheritance Quiz
- 6. Deep Dive: Why Aren't Zebras Domesticated?
- 7. Laws of Heredity (part 1)
- 8. Laws of Heredity (part 2)
- 9. Deep Dive: Punnett Squares and Heredity
- 10. Pet Pedigree Puzzle
- 11. Bigger Punnett Squares
- 12. Heredity Quiz Show
- Punnett Square Challenge
- 13. What is a gene?
- 14. Chromosomes
- DNA Song
- DNA Quiz
- 15. Deep Dive: Fingerprints
- 16. Meiosis
- 17. The Genetic Code 1
- 18. Gummy Worm Meiosis
- 19. The Genetic Code 2
- 20. Blood Types Explained
- 21. Activity: Blood Typing
- 22. Mutations
- 23. Nature and Nurture
- 24. Activity: Apple Taste Test
- 25. Calico Cats and X-linked Traits
- 26. Modifying Genes and Gene Editing
- 27. Genetics Quiz Show
- 28. Endangered vs Invasive
- 29. Darwin and the Galapagos
- 30. Activity: The Journey of the HMS Beagle
- 31. Survival of the Fittest
- 32. Selection and Adaptation
- 33. Deep dive: When Sherpas climb Mt. Everest
- 34. What is Evolution?
- 35. Genetic Drift
- 36. Activity: Genetic Drift
- 37. Species and Gene Pools
- 38. Taxonomy and Similar Traits
- 39. Deep dive: DNA and Pandas
- 40. The Fossil Record
- 41. Phylogenies and Family Trees
- 42. Activity: Build a Philogenic Tree
- 43. Australia vs New Zealand
- 44. Timeline of Life on Earth
- 45. Evolution Quiz Show
- Compilation: Would That Work for Humans?
What do our students say?
Finding Science Mom during the quarantine supercharged our entire school year. From her Chemistry course to her Earth Science class my 4th grader has been engaged and excited every week for class. These classes have consistently ranked as his favorites all year. He spends hours after each class telling everyone all about what he’s learned, singing the songs and showing his projects.
The lessons are engaging and funny, with catchy songs that really help visual and auditory learners grasp concepts. The lesson book is beautiful with hand-drawn pictures, detailed information and hands-on projects. Bonus for homeschoolers - our advisor LOVES all the great samples produced!
For anyone looking for a balanced science curriculum, this is it.
My son says ‘Now I can understand the world around me so much more!’
— Karilyn and Cian, Science Mom Superfans (NoBackHome.com)