Pre-Algebra with Math Dad
Join Math Dad and Science Mom for a hands-on journey through prealgebra.
The course can be completed at your own pace. The suggested pace is to complete four lessons per week.
Each 45-minute video session guides you through the activity with discussion and examples.
The full course consists of 2 semesters that can be purchased individually or as a bundle.
The course uses the Desmos Middle School curriculum for our lessons. Each activity comes with a video lesson. Some days we will have a paper-based lesson, but most days, the student will need a computer to access their classwork activities.
In this course, we will cover four main topics:
Unit 1: Rigid Transformations and Congruence
Unit 2: Scale Drawings, Dilations, and Similarity
Unit 3: Writing and Solving Equations and Inequalities
Unit 4: Linear Relationships and Systems of Equations
Semester 2 of Pre-Algebra covers the following topics:
Unit 5: Functions
Unit 6: Associations in Data
Unit 7: Volume and Surface Area
Unit 8: Exponents and Scientific Notation
Unit 9: Pythagorean Theorem and Irrational Numbers
You can view the full year syllabus.
Two semesters of interactive math with Math Dad and Science Mom leading to Algebra 1
Grade 6 Math Bundle
Two semesters of interactive math with Math Dad and Science Mom leading to Pre-Algebra
Why is the full year math course broken up into two semester-long courses?
- We want to include families that can't financially commit to a full year initially.
- We want to provide a point of entry for families to join the class at the halfway point if that is best for their learning.
Is my child ready for Pre-Algebra?
Placement tests are notoriously bad at placing students, but we prepared a readiness test and answer key anyway to give you an idea of your child's level of preparation. You can use this checklist of skills from our Grade 6 Math course to hone in on specific skills.
What can I do to help my child get ready for this course?
- Review multiplication and division facts, including long division. Also, do calculations using fractions and decimals to keep sharp. You'll get rusty if you don't review them from time to time.
- Go over this checklist of skills and spend time investigating the skills where your child's knowledge is weakest.
- Have a great attitude about math, yourself. Your attitude will shape your child's perspective on math.
How is this course different than your science courses?
- The format will be different. Your child will need to have an activity open in one browser and a video feed open in another. They'll bounce back and forth between them as we work through the concepts together.
- Most of the class time will be spent with your child actively working on problems.
- The course is longer (63 lessons with a recommended pace of 4 lessons per week).
- The course registration is for individuals instead of families (because of the curriculum license).
What if we need help outside of class?
Our class will have a moderated discord community where you can post and answer questions.
What platforms will we use?
The student will need access to a web browser for the YouTube video feed and a web browser for the Desmos activities. If you have a second device or a second monitor, then they won't have to switch back and forth between the lesson video and the activity.
A tiny screen could make it challenging to interact with some Desmos activities. A touch tablet could work, though the interactions will go much more smoothly with a keyboard. We strongly recommend the student use a computer during class.
What if we have multiple children who want to take the course? Does this registration allow them all to participate?
No. While multiple people could, in theory, share an activity screen and work through the challenges together, the student who is completing the work will be the one who learns the most. We are paying for individual student licenses from the curriculum creators (Desmos) so each student will need their own license for the activities. You can contact us about a discount for a second or third license if you have additional children who want to participate.
What is the expectation of parents?
Ask your child to teach you the topic of the day and to show you their work. They'll be completing some pretty cool tasks, so this is your chance to cheer them on.
How much homework will there be?
Most lessons will have practice problems to complete (less than 30 minutes on average). If you feel like your child doesn't need the additional practice, then you can be the hero parent who tells them they can skip the problems.
What is the next course?
This course covers all the 8th-grade common core standards as well as some 7th-grade standards across both semesters 1 and 2.
After completing both semesters of Pre-Algebra, a student is ready for Algebra 1.
Can I pay for the entire year at once?
Yes. Purchase the Pre-Algebra Bundle to buy the curriculum for the entire year.
We license the curriculum for Desmos, so we can't preview the activities. However, we have a YouTube playlist of sample lessons that you can check out to get a sense for the course. (These sample lessons are at the Grade 6 level.)
- Unit 1 Summary
- Lesson 1. Spinning, Flipping, Sliding
- Lesson 2. Transformation Golf
- Lesson 3. Moving Day
- Lesson 4. Getting Coordinated
- Lesson 5. Connecting the Dots
- Unit 1 Quiz
- Lesson 6. Are they the same?
- Lesson 7. Are they congruent?
- Lesson 8. Friendly Angles
- Lesson 9. Angle Diagrams
- Lesson 10. Transforming Angles
- Lesson 11. Tearing It Up
- Lesson 12. Puzzling It Out
- Lesson 13. Can You Build It?
- Lesson 14. Is It Enough?
- Lesson 15. More Than One?
- Lesson 16. Can You Draw It?
- Unit 1 End Assessment
- Unit 2 Summary
- Lesson 17. Scaling Robots
- Lesson 18. Make It Scale
- Lesson 19. Introducing Scale
- Lesson 20. Will It Fit?
- Lesson 21. Scaling Buildings
- Lesson 22. Sketchy Dilations
- Lesson 23. Dilation Mini Golf
- Unit 2 Quiz
- 24. Match My Dilation
- 25. Dilations on a Plane
- 26. Transformation Golf With Dilations
- 27. Social Scavenger Hunt
- Lesson 28. Are Angles Enough?
- Lesson 29. Shadows
- Lesson 30. Water Slide
- Unit 2 End Assessment
- Unit 3 Summary
- Lesson 31. Toothpicks and Tiles
- Lesson 32. Equations
- Lesson 33. Seeing Structure
- Lesson 34. Balancing Moves
- Lesson 35. Balancing Equations
- Lesson 36. Keeping It True
- Lesson 37. Factoring and Expanding
- Lesson 38. Always-Equal Machines
- Lesson 39. Collect the Squares
- Optional Bonus Session on Expanding, Factoring, and Solving
- Lesson 40. Equation Rountable
- Lesson 41. Community Day
- Lesson 42. Balanced Moves
- Lesson 43. More Balanced Moves
- Lesson 44. Number Machines
- Lesson 45. Stategic Solving
- Lesson 46. All, Some, or None?
- Lesson 47. When Are They the Same?
- Unit 3 Quiz
- Lesson 48. Tunnel Travels
- Lesson 49. Comparing Weights
- Lesson 50. Shira's Solutions
- Lesson 51. Unbalanced Hangers
- Lesson 52. Budgeting
- Lesson 53. Shira the Sheep
- Unit 3 End Assessment